Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A tour around Puerto Varas

View of Lago Llanquihue on our way up the Volcan. It looks like the weather might hold.



..but, it decided to get cloudy right as we arrived, so we decided against going up the volcan , and I´ve been in misty conditions before.

I found some snow though.


And Frosty, so it was fine. After taking the picture of a couple from Uruguay in front of this snowman that beckoned me to get my picture taken with it, I obliged.



After our volcan experience, we went back down to Laguna Verde (green lagoon). It has a green color to it because there are some hot springs underneath the water. This slightly warmer temperature allows the microscopic organisms to live and gives it this green color.


This wasn´t quite the showstopper like a vocan, or a flood staged waterfall, but it was very interesting to see, and walk around it. The lagoon wasn´t too big and it´s entrance to the bigger lake looked cool, like un-mixed Kool-aid.


Today started off great with sunny skies with only a few clouds to the west. As we drove over towards the Vocan Osorno, our guide/hostel owner satisfied my thirst for whatever question popped into my head. It was great having someone there because there were a lot of questions I had about everything, what is the main product of the area(cheese and meat), any fruit (apples and some berries, who lives in that house(some Americans have a huge house that is a mansion), what happened there(the road washed out, as it does every year when the snow melts on the volcan), why are there so many Germans here(they settled here when Germany´s economy wasn´t too hot in the 1800´s, and they stayed) and many more.

Even though the clouds didn´t lift, I felt like I had a true Lake District experience with the misty rain and clouds, intermixed with some sun.

After our tour, I spent some time planning out my next few days. I´ll be in Chiloé tomorrow, in the town of Castro for two nights, then I´ll head back through Puerto Varas on my way over to Bariloche, Argentina. I´ll spend four nights there, which I´ve heard people have been known to spend longer than they planned, and arrive back in Santiago before the 18-Sept festivities.
That´s all for now, see you later.

No comments: