Thursday, September 24, 2009

Festias Patrias (September 17th - 20th)

I timed by arrival to Santiago perfectly with the Fiestas Patrias, or the Chilean Independence Day celebrations. I got in Thursday (9-17) morning, and we went up to Cerro San Cristobal for an asado with some friends of Brooke and Chelsea. Then I went to my old apartment to celebrate. Then on the 18th, I went over to my old place to hang out with them and got a chance to hold Maria José´s 12 day old baby. That night, after "lunch" at 5:30, I went to a Fonda with Juan Pablo.

(Fonda Inés De Suárez on 18-Sept)
Fondas are a traditional part of Fiestas Patrias, where the cueca is danced, food is sold and people go to have a good time.

(Traditional music)
The next day was spent relaxing at Brooke´s house where we made a nice meal and invited some friends over. On Sunday, Juan Pablo, Stephanie, Brooke and I went to Pirque where I went last year with him, and had a huge asado(bbq). Jaun Pablo cooked enough meat that we had lunch, sat around, went for a walk and then had dinner with the same meat.

(Our asado on Sunday. This picture has everything but the steak, lamb and potatoes that went on later)

(The view from the asado place. It was a great place to spend Sunday)

It was a great weekend filled with wine, meat and laughs. It was great to spend a weekend with friends and "family." After that weekend, I was ready to head out and get some exercise and see some new areas again. Monday morning I took off for Mendoza, Argentina.

2 comments:

Jay and Brooke said...

Good you are getting some baby holding practice in. :)

Unknown said...

Quadrupedal threat guitar? Was that the Chilean tour of Lynard Skynard?