Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Full Marathon 10K

Last weekend I had a wonderful time on the coast relaxing on the beach, hanging out with friends and running my first 10k race. This 10k was a Chilean experience.

It was similar to what you would find in the US, but there were some distinct Chilean moments. To start, the port-a-let followed the Chilean rule of efficiency. There were 5 for the estimated 500 people competing in the race, and there wasn't any tp in them. Then about at about 8:30 a Richard Simmons style guy takes the main stage by the starting line and leads maybe 50-80 people in jazzersize to "warm up." These people were getting into it, practicing some salsa, hip-hop and even country dances to warm up. Then at 9:00, when the race was scheduled to start the director stated that we had to wait 5 more minutes, "Cinco minutos más, solo cinco minutos, no más" Five minutes more, only five minutes, no more. Then he explained the entire course turn by turn, and finished by explaining our numbers needed to be showing to get a time. He also had this direct quote, "For you gringos: No number, no time." At about 9:10 we started and the first 2 or 3 km we had a pack of street dogs barking along the side of the road as they were wondering why hundreds of people are running down their streets. At one point things got a little intense as three dogs ganged up on another, in the middle of the street, almost taking out three runners ahead of me. Then the only thing of interest to me was that the people would run on the sidewalk instead of the six laned road we had. Unfortunately my stomach was feeling a little crappy and at km 7 I had to duck out and frantically use a gas station bathroom. Sometimes you just have to go.

(I finished with a time of 43:44, and I have this flattering picture from the finish line to prove it.)
Also, one of my "students" told me the beginning of the race is on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwxyPQzxLo See if you can find me. I have a look of concentrated focus on my face, and a little bit of confusion.
Overall, it wasn't to bad. I had a goal of 40 minutes, and at 5km had a time of 20:10, so I think I could have clocked in close, but with a potty break, I'm not too disappointed. I also got a free dryfit t-shirt!

Tomorrow night I'm heading to Mendoza, Argentina for vacation. Everyone has told me Mendoza is beautiful and being Spring, I'm sure it will be. I head out Thursday night, and will return Monday morning. I think it's about a 6-7 hour bus ride.

1 comment:

Kyla said...

You inspired me! I just signed up for the Turkey Trot (see blog)!