Saturday, May 17, 2008

Not too much going on

I realized it's been awhile since I wrote here, and I think it's because I haven't really done anything spectacular. Some highlights from the past couple weeks:
Saturday night: I went out with my family to a "Chilean Rock" concert, then danced, then decided to go to this club that stays open until 9:00am. Little did I anticipate that we would get close to staying out until then. Around 6ish we wanted to leave, but the bouncers said it was dangerous, so we had to wait it out until the sun came out to rescue us and miraculously, when we left around 7:30 all was peaceful outside. We went back to the apartment, made some breakfast and went to bed. Then in the afternoon we had the Chilean afternoon lunch of empanadas and conversation.
Thursday: A co-worker of mine works at an all girls catholic school and asked Marisa and if we would like to judge the "Beauty and Smarts" part of their week long spirit week. I would like to direct your attention to Marisa's blog because we had very similar reactions. I can only emphasize how much thought and deliberation went into the final decision. Here we were, three "Americans" and another panalist, trying to decide if the team with the most correct answers would win, or the team that displayed a stronger vocabulary should win amidst screaming house music, girls dancing on bleachers surrounding us, not being able to hear one another unless we were right next to each other, and then the giant, four legged Nemo waving at us really helped me step it up a notch and make a decision. I thought, "If two girls can create a four footed paper mached fish and walk around, AND wave at me, then I can declare team Green the victors. After listening to the four high schools give their answers in clean, understandable English, I was brought back down to Earth when I went to Duoc later that day to teach my 26 year olds who couldn't understand me when I asked how their weekend was. But, I can't complain.
Friday night: I really wanted to check out some live music so I shined the signal in the clouds and gathered some friends to come with me to Club de Jazz in Ñuñoa. Ñuñoa is the community just south of where I live, so it was about a 5-10 minute bus ride. It's one of the most famous jazz clubs in Santiago, and while the music was ok, the company was nice. For me, I got a chance to meet more English professors from around Santiago, and share stories. The other people I was with were other TIPS(which is what they call me) from the World Teach program.
Saturday: Tonight I'm going to a birthday party for José-Tomás, Oliver's boy. So basically, he's my nephew. Oliver calls me Uncle Ben, Tío Ben.
Sunday 18th -Wednesday 21st. Steve, my friend who teaches in Viña, and I are headed to Mendoza, Argentina for the week since we don't have class on Wednesday. Why not, right? So I should get some good pictures from that weekend(which happens to start on a Sunday)

No comments: