Thursday, May 1, 2008

It's a holiday

Labor Day in Chile is May 1st, and since it falls on a Thursday, that's when we, as in Chilean workers are celebrating it. After feeling like I was back on a normal sleep schedule, I gave it another jolt by doing what I do best: tagging along with my "brother", "sister" and her boyfriend. They said they were going to a concert, or club, or bar, or something. I really didn't know exactly where we were going besides that it was in Barrio Brasil, and the last thing I wanted to do was offend my friends by not participating in their culture. I was pleasantly surprised to see I ended up at a concert and was treated to the sounds of Chico Trujillo. They are a type of cumbia music, which is a mix of rock, latin, and ska music. I enjoyed it quite a bit the only problem for me was the incredible amount of smoke that filled the concrete concert hall, and the fact that the headliner, Chico Trujillo started at 2:30.

(This picture was lifted from the internet, but that's what they looked like)
We left shortly after the first set around 3:30, and ended up in Burger King because it was the only place open. After waiting for a little over 30 minutes to order I decided since I waited, I might as well order. After we get to our table we realize we only have four ketchup packets. So, being the nice I guy I am I told my friends I'd go up and ask for some more. This ended up being another time I wish I knew more Spanish because this girl who was waiting right behind us started smarting off to me about how she waited for 30 minutes in the line and I had to wait as well. She also told me because I'm a gringo I think I can do anything. I tried to explain to her that we waited just like everyone else, in front of her, and I just wanted some ketchup for our food. I think the guy behind her was understanding but she was not happy. I think she was just drunk and tired, and probably sick of gringos. Who knows, maybe asking for more than four ketchup packets for four combo meals is totally out of line? Either way, I left the conversation wishing I had a better vocabulary. But, looking back if I did have a bigger vocabulary and handle on the language, she probably would have gotten even more upset.

No comments: