Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mom and Dad in town

My parents came and went last weekend. Their plane touched down Thursday morning and then they left Monday evening. But in between we filled our time together sight seeing and hanging out. They were able to see my city, my neighborhood, my university, sample Chilean food and drinks, and meet my family and friends.
Thursday we didn't really do too much because my parents had the "we just tried to sleep on an airplane" feeling so we just walked to my apartment and had Churrasco sandwiches.
Friday we did Santiago. We started the day by going to La Chascona(One of Pablo Neruda's three houses). After that tour we took the Bellavista Funicular up to the top, then took the Teleferico down.


(On top of Cerro San Cristobal)
After that we took the metro to Plaza de Armas where we did some people watching and then walked down to the Artesianal shops across the street from Cerro Santa Lucia. Then we walked to Bellavista for a liter of beer, and then dinner at El Tablao. Then we went to the Parque Balmaceda to watch the fountain light show.


(Parque Balmaceda)
After that we sampled some gelato at Bravissimo and then headed home after a long day of walking.
Saturday we traveled to Valparaiso and Viña del Mar. We spent the day walking around the hills of Valpo and toured another of Pablo Neruda's houses called La Sebastiana. They we met up with Juan Pablo and his girlfriend Sephania and we had a nice three hour lunch overlooking the ocean. After lunch(which we finished around 5:00) Juan Pablo drove us around and we finished off the night walking down the beach in Viña del Mar.
Sunday we went to the vineyard of Concha y Toro where we became experts about wine. Then we went out to a great pizza place because it was Día del Niño (Children's Day). It was so considerate for my parents to come down to Chile just for Children's Day. That night we walked to my apartment and my parents met my Chilean brothers and mom.
Monday we went out to a great restaurant and then went back to the Chilean shops by Santa Lucia and then my parents left. I sent them to the airport in a taxi and that seemed to get them to the airport and back to Wisconsin.
It really was wonderful to show my parents around and have them meet the important people in my life down here.


(Mamá y su hijo)

No comments: