Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Snowboarding in June

It was great to hang out with my UW friends for the last five days. A few days after Hannah took off for Montana, Dylan and Katy made the trip across the Andes to Santiago. They were stuck in Mendoza for a couple days, and made it here Friday night. I introduced them to the hear attack friendly foods of Chile right away with a chorillana for dinner. After dinner we met up with two friends of Dylan for some piscolas. Dylan worked with some Chileans in Vail last winter, so he already knew some guys down here. I thought it was a good introduction to Chile. Chorillana and pisco. Saturday we went down to central part of town to Plaza de Armas and Mercado Centra for some fish. That night we met up with another friend of Dylan´s for a birthday party/ barbecue. After that they took us to some club for some reggaetoned dancing. Sunday was filled walking around Barrio Bellavista and enjoying the views from Cerro San Cristabol. We headed home early Sunday night to rest up for our day of snowboarding. We headed up to the mountains early Monday morning and rode some great, open slopes of El Colorado. For me, it seems natural to be going snowboarding now, because I've been through a month or so of fall and some of winter. The day was spent acting like idiots, taking a ton of pictures, enjoying the view from the outdoor restaurant, laughing, and some good falls. Needless to say, my body is sore today, and I was told by a co-worker that I have a nice skier`s tan on my face. After riding, we went out for sushi, placing my sushi consumption up to maybe 7 times in my life. Monday Dylan and I walked around my neighborhood in the morning, and then I pointed him and Katy in the direction of Santa Lucia while I did some work. Oh yeah, that´s right, I´m working down here. After my first class I met up with Katy, Dylan and one of Dylan´s Chilean friends for a final good-bye. And just like that, three weeks of gringo fun is over. But, I now have some new Chilean friends to hang out with. Today I had lunch with my "family" and they told me that my Spanish has slid a little during the past three weeks in my "gringo party." Oh well, it was well worth it and I have some time to get it back.
That´s all for now.

Now for some snowboarding in June pictures.


(Extreme freestyle moves)


(Extreme front side grab)

(Way up in the Andes)

(Finding a good line)

(The UW Madison, Hoofers Ski and Snowboard club representing South America)

No comments: