Friday, June 20, 2008

La Serena has better... what?

A story:
In class the other night we were going over comparisons and I had my students compare a couple cities to help me decide where I should go over winter break. The options they had were La Serena, San Pedro de Atacama, and Lima. Of course everyone had negative things to say about Lima, because they don't like Peru, or Bolivia, or...Argentina. I had the students get in groups and create some sentences to compare the cities, and then they told the entire class. The second to last group delightfully said, "La Serena has better beaches than Lima, Peru." That alone is not a bad statement, in fact it is 100% correct, but imagine the word beaches, said by a Chilean with a Spanish accent and it sounds a little dirty. Needless to say, half the class understood it as "La Serena has better bitches than Lima, Peru," and everyone was dying of laughter while I had to explain the differences in pronunciation, and meaning between the two very different words. This was probably the funniest thing to happen during class so far.
I got my finals schedule yesterday and have four finals July 4th(don't they know it's a national holiday?) and one on July 9th. Then it's Winter Break until August 11th.

No comments: