Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mi nuevo casa.

This afternoon we moved from our "Rent A Home" condos to our temporary housing(or permanent if we don't want to leave) about five blocks down the road. It is a little more realistic here. In our old place we had two tv's, an AC unit, kitchen, I had my own room and bathroom, my two roommates shared a room and had their own bathroom, and two couches. Writing this at 7:30, it is 83 F in my room. It's like the last week I forgot that it is hot in the summer. Here we have basic accommodations. This afternoon a couple guys and I wen to the grocery store and bought some "easy" foods to eat. We don't have culinary or pots and pans, so we are kind of limited with what we can eat. I plan on moving into a apartment with a furnished kitchen so I'm hesitant to buy pots and pans for the next couple weeks.
Yesterday we went to Pomaire, about 65 kilometers southwest of Santiago and ate some enjoyed another huge lunch of traditional food including, pastel de choclo, and huge empanadas. Pastel de choclo is a typical Chilean dish made of ground fresh corn (choclo) with basil served in a earthen style bown. Then we walked around the town for awhile checking out the shops. It was such a nice town, and I think I just really enjoyed it because it was outside of the city. It will interesting to see how much city life I can take, or if I'll come to love the big city.
Last night the ciee group went out and sampled the Santiago nightlife, again. It was fun to hangout with everyone, and see what the Chileans like to dance to. Dr. Dre really made the dance floor bounce.



^Here's looking into my massive room. To the right is my closet, one of the coolest parts of my room.



^And the other view of my room. This view is looking towards the door. As you can see, it's pretty basic, but I don't need anything much more expansive than this.



^Here's the view from the street of Pomaire. It's wild that in Santiago, you rarely can see the Andes because of the smog but out here it is a lot more clear.



^Willy the potter was able to made a bowl, vase, candle holder, piggy band, you name it and he can make it, and in under two minutes. It was amazing watching him take a clump of clay and make a piece of art.



^Those crazy Chilean kids, what are they going to come up with next? The street is meant to read, "Roto Chileno" which translates to broken Chilean, but it now reads, "Poto Chileno." Poto is slang for ass, or butt, so it is proven that the entire world is still laughing at potty jokes.



^Here's a view of the sunset from my third floor room.

No comments: